My second MK show (I missed Ragpicker tour due to Mark moto crash). I heard about a tired band, but I saw a great show, full of energy.
I prefer this band with 6 elements, to the band of the "Sailing To P." tour with another guitar. The arrangements fit better to the band members. The venue acoustic is not perfect at all... but anyway to a decent level!!!
Mark: the orchestra director!!! He plays like if he's at home with his friends, completely relaxed!!!
Guy: the man behind the scenes!!! If you don't pay attention you don't see him, but if he stops playing you feel there's somenthing missing!!
Danny: he can be very aggressive, or very delicate that is a must for a good drummer!!! And above all he's very funny!!!
Glenn: smiles, sings, switches between acoustic and electric, and adds somenthing new to end of "Sultans of swing" playing chords on the bass. He's really an add on to MK sounds!!!
Matt: I don't rememeber if he was on STP tour... He sings, plays acoustic piano, organo and accordion always smiling. He's perfect on cajun-folk arrangements when he plays accordion!!!
Richard: MK has spent a lot of years looking for his second guitars, but now has found the perfect man. He really enjoys himself while playing, even on Money for nothing when he "just" plays the cow bell!!! Great RICHARD!!!
1. Why aye man: great opening!!! The song is perfect, Mark smiles and starts joking with his 58 Les Paul!!! It's a pity that this is the only tune from that fantastic record that is "Ragpicker's dream". Anyway a powerful start!!!
2. Walk of life: the song has a new arrangement, it's no more as country as it was on OES tour. It is slower and a little more cajun, with the acoustic bass and the accordion!!! I think it's perfect in this way!!! The crowd start singing and clapping hands!!!
3. What it is: a litlle slower than on records, it is played well, but to me it misses somenthing. I prefer the faster version!!
4. Sailing to Philadelphia: the song is really perfect, full of emotions and feeling!!! I was waiting for James Taylor to coming in!!!
5. Romeo and Juliet: the arena was exploding!!! Straits classic are unforgettable!!! The crowd sings with MK all the song!!!
6. Sultans of Swing: played only by four person (as the original version), with a great Danny carrying on the song. The rhythm section is the main element of this song, especially now without that is played without keyboards. Mark is fantastic and the crowd sings behind his guitars. All the venue is waiting for the final solo and no one is disappointed. If the concert ends now I would be happy the same (I apologize for my english)!!!
7. Done with Bonaparte: simply delicious, I really love this song, and I really love this acoustic sound of the band. Another thing MK couldn't have in the Straits!!!
8. Song for Sonny Liston: new arrangements for this song, slower and played only by one guitar, drum and acoustic bass. the MK Les Pauls sounds great and the riff is so tipically MK!!! I don't which version I prefer, however it surprises me seeing what only three person can do. I started thinking to an MK trio that would be the dream of all guitarits!!! :)
9. Donegan’s Gone: a little bit of slide guitar could'n miss!!! Perfect execution of a nice song!!!
10. Boom, like that: what a big and unbelievable sounds!!! The new MK guitar is full of tone, so clear, but also so powerful. Much better than on the record. The band is playing really great now!!!
11. Speedway to Nazareth: WOW!!!! Another fantastic tune!!! The song groove always grows up, it never stops!!!
12. Telegraph Road: the highest point of the show to me... Simply perfect!!! Played in a fantastic way, with a great mood. This song has a great dynamic and alternates parts played loudly to acoustic parts played softly. The final section, is so beatiful... Mark (and all the band) really takes an elevator and start flying!!! There's so much tension and energy that at the end you need a two minutes time-out!!!
--- a little break ---
13. Brothers in Arms: played very well, but with a very sad mood. MK is so quite, he just plays few notes than on other versions. But the song is so beatiful...
14. Money For Nothing: pure energy!!!
15. So far away: the perfect song for ending the show!!! MK and all the band wave goodbye during the chorus!!!
A better concert than what I expected, after the gig I went to a pub with the concert images still on my mind!!! After an humberger quickly at home playing "Brothers in arms" with the capo at fourth fret, and "What it is" with the capo at the second fret, as I saw on Richard guitar... The show (and the MK sounds) was a big trip from England to Missisipi, passing by Ireland and Scotland!!! Thanks to all the band!!!